Thursday, January 5, 2012

Maternity Leave

This week marks my first full week of maternity leave. It feels great especially since I've been having pregnancy insomnia and I now have the luxury to nap mid-day instead of fighting through fatigue in my cube. For whatever reason, my body seems to know when it's 3am because that's typically when I'm up and I don't fall back asleep till around 6am. It's so miserable to be restless in bed! I hear it's good practice for when I'll have sleepless nights when baby lo comes, but at least I'll be up and productive (hopefully) as opposed to lying there refreshing my fb app minute after minute...as if someone is going to update their status at 4am. (side: new years eve was great because people were actually up in the wee hours of the morning and I did have fb company.)

Things I've enjoyed this week that I normally wouldn't have been able to with work:
* 3 loads of laundry all done before the afternoon
* morning coffee & donuts with Angie and sweet tomatos with Rebs :)
* mid-day errands to TJs and Target
* afternoon walks with mighty
* organizing nursery and online shopping :P
* nap everyday so far this week, I don't think I've had this luxury ... since who knows when!
* pre-natal massage (later today!)
* not rushing to cook dinner

All pretty simple stuff, but its been nice to have more time and energy to do them. I think the biggest win so far has been having the time to internalize my pregnancy. Even though I have a huge belly as a constant reminder, being pregnant has been pretty surreal. I feel like I haven't really had to time to sit and think about the changes ahead since I've been occupied with work and things. I'm enjoying the extra time I have to connect with the baby more, sit and think about what has been happening in my body for the past 9 months...instead of just tackling my to do list after work hours.  I'm not quite at the bored stage yet because I still feel like I have lots of preparing to do, both emotionally and physically, but you can ask me in a couple weeks :)

4 comments:

  1. like on maternity leave productivity! but boo on the pregnancy insomnia. finding good apps you like to read on your phone is good practice for feeding baby too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolx i remember that pregnancy insomnia... sometimes jisu would wake up in the middle of the night and find me munching on an apple in the dark next to him HAAHAHAH. i would be so bored!

    i'm glad you're getting lots of opportunity to relax, nest, and prepare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ cc, any you recommend?? :)
    @ sophia, that's kind of freaky! hahaha jisu was probably wondering what the crunching noise was. i try to play with might at night but he's no fun..he's a log when he's asleep

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so late on this post! but sweet tomatoes was so... sweet :) loved catching up with you! <3 waiting for baby to lo to join us in the real world! yahoooooooo

    ReplyDelete